Monday, January 11, 2021

Giving Back

Often, we think of wealthy individuals with millions of dollars as advocates of practicing the art of Giving Back. Although they receive public acknowledgment for their philanthropy, anyone can Give Back. Some individuals may think Giving Back is starting a new company or employing persons from the community. At the same time, others may believe that Giving Back is allocating time to those less fortunate or throwing a lavish party in the name of charity. While working at Wallace Community College, I have acknowledged several individuals who return and assist our students after completing their bachelor's degree. One example is Ms. Jamekia Richardson. So I asked her the other day why she wanted to Give Back. Her response is as follows: 

TRiO Student Support Services helped me when I did not know that I even needed help. When the TRiO Bridge Advisor spoke at my high school, I remembered saying that I don't need those services, but I filled out an application anyway. Little did I know TRiO became a stepping-stone that propelled me toward my educational success. TRiO became that reliable support as I ventured into a long, difficult education journey. Whether I needed advising, financial assisting, tutoring or even just a shoulder to cry on, I received it from TRiO. TRiO was always there for me. After graduating, I wanted to serve others in the same capacity as the staff in TRiO. My educational journey with TRiO as my partner taught me to Give Back. 


As students of learning, like Jamekia, allow the term Giving Back to resonate as part of your vocabulary. It would help you envision opportunities when you graduate. Giving Back can occur at your local Boys and Girls Club, Pee Wee football, or any nonprofit or charity organization. Join the Giving Back club and become a life-giver. 

Now Get that Tassel at Wallace Community College!